V02 Max Do’s & Don’ts
- It’s essential to have sufficient rest before your VO2max exercise test. Ideally, don’t exercise within 24 hours of your test time. If you do train, make it a light workout. Try not to lift weights the day before your test either.
- If you have asthma, please bring your inhaler with you.
- If you have concerns about the test, seek advice from your GP.
- If you have any metabolic conditions, e.g. thyroid issues or diabetes, bring some rapidly absorbed carbohydrate to take immediately after your test.
- You will be fasted pre-test, so you need to avoid the risk of hypoglycaemia.
- There are always risks associated with exercise. It’s essential you complete our health screen before your test day.
- It’s essential that we have your information and failure to do so may cause your test date to be postponed or cancelled. This will be taken before the test.
- Don’t drink anything other than water, for at least 4 hours before the test.
- Don’t eat. Unless you fast, the test results won’t be as accurate, and we may have to postpone the test.
- Don’t smoke at least 4 hours before the test.
- Avoid hard training or activity at least 24 hours before your test.
- This means no high-intensity cardio. And if you do lift weights, avoid train legs.
- If you over-train the day before the test, your body will be tired, and you will not perform to your maximum potential.